15 Amazing Festivals to go in Asia before you Die
Mouthwatering food. Vibrant cultures. Unforgettable landscapes. As if Asia needed any more reasons to visit, it’s also the homeland of some of the world’s most thrilling festivals.
Many of the festivals you’re about to read about have been around for 100s of years, attracting visitors from miles around to take part in the important rituals and community spirit that rolls like a joyous crescendo through the foothills and valleys of the alluring continent.
1) Boryeong Mud festival – South Korea
2) Songkran – Thailand
3) Harbin International Ice Festiva – China
4) Thaipoosam – Malaysia
5) Holi – India
6) Dragon Boat Festival – Hong Kong
7) Loi Krathong Lantern Festival – Thailand
8) Sapporo Snow Festival – Japan
9) Phuket Vegetarian Festival – Thailand
10) Naadam – Mongolia
11) Ati-Atihan – Philippines
12) Cherry Blossom Festival – Japan
13) Elephant Festival – Laos
14) Nyepi Bali – Indonesia
15) Full Moon of Tabaung – Myanmar
Since I live in Bangkok, I have attended several of these festivals. The Harbin Ice Festival was the most dramatic. and the Holi Festival was the most fun. But for the sheer exotic, strange and shocking, Thaipoosam is at the top of the list.